<VV> Grant Steering Wheel

Padgett pp2 at 6007.us
Mon Aug 7 20:17:30 EDT 2006

At 06:39 PM 8/7/2006, you wrote:
>A few postings back someone talked about the Grant 1760 steering wheel
>on their 66(?) Vair.  Missed the one on eBay but would like to hear more
>about it and the necessary adapter, online or off.

Twist my arm 8*). See http://padgett.ws/files/1760.jpg for a shot on my '66
Monza. Clark's advises against a 13" wheel and I agree (except for
autocrossing when the adrenalin is up). The 1760 is 15" and leaves all of
the gauges visible. For a more gothic appearance the 1770 has black spokes
but is not on e-Bay very often. The 17x0 is about 2" less dish and 2" less
diameter than the stock wheel and for me is in a much more comfortable
position.

The adapter for a 64-66 column is apparently now available only from
Clark's though the original Grant number was 10022. The difference is that
the steering column spline is about 5/8" diameter while the later one (and
pretty much GM standard) is about 3/4" diameter. Both are tapered. I have
wondered if it would be possible to make an insert to use the later hub on
the early column. Since it would be in compression I suspect it could be
fairly soft and possibly self-splining. Would need extensive testing to
make sure it would not shear inopportunely or wobble. Suspect it is less
expensive to just pay the premium for the Clark's adapter (C10641) since it
would include the column cover.

I also tried stripping down a hub from a junque wheel (lots of grinding)
but it requires some additional machining of the wheel since the stock hub
has a step in the middle. Never was really satisfied with it.

Padgett