<VV> Car Display and Concours

Dave Keillor dkeillor at tconcepts.com
Mon Aug 7 21:30:35 EDT 2006

I know, I said I'd shut up and go back to work, but it's evening now and
I can't resist ruffling a few more feathers.  Let's add a new "ugly
bottom" class to Concours (as per Seth).  The issue isn't just cleaning
up the bottom after driving to the convention, but getting it
concours-ready in the first place.  My low-mileage convert still has its
1966 bottom.  It's pretty nice for a 40-year old bottom, but it's still
old, dirty, with some rust on the suspension parts.  The top side and
interior are really nice, but I don't want to put in the time required
to give it a pretty bottom.  Mostly because I drive it regularly.

Second, let's put all the cars on the same field - Concours and Display.
Designate the cars eligible for People's Choice in some manner (lots of
ways to do that).  In order to avoid interference between lookie-loos
and judges, take the mountain to Mohammed.  That is, set aside a special
judging area and require the owner to take the car there for judging.
Owners could be given a judging sequence and approximate times for
judging so they didn't have hang around all day if they didn't wish to
do so.  I've seen this procedure used (and been a part of it), so I know
it can work.

Having everyone on the same field allows spectators and participants to
interact with all the cars and car people (especially Norm).  Yeah, I
know, there are lots of reasons it won't work.

Dave Keillor