<VV> Car Display (Too Long)

tkalp at cox.net tkalp at cox.net
Mon Aug 7 23:55:46 EDT 2006

Drivers can win Gold at concours.  Phil Nelson of our club drove his '65 Corsa "Fast Orange" from Kansas to Carlisle.  Phil and his dedicated wife Shelley spent an afternoon with the car up on jackstands cleaning before the show.  The car was driven at least once a week and often more during the year.  Phil isn't the only one, just the one I know best.

BTW the suspension had never been out of his car, it was not a nut and bolt restoration.  Realize that the entire undercarriage is judged by four guys in five minutes . . . seeing what they can without the car jacked up.

There are lesser classes, they are called Silver and Bronze.  If you don't want to clean your undercarriage, enter and try for a silver award. Swallow your pride and have your car judged . . . I'd bet you would be suprized what the judges saw in five minutes that you didn't know about.

If you want to get a close look a lot of great Corvairs be a judge you will appreciate the work that goes into these cars. You will also learn to appreciate the CORSA judging system.  With the points system no one thing will make or break your car, it is a lot of little things that boost or drop your score.  A bug on the antenna is less then one tenth of a percent.

But maybe this is a great idea.  Maybe we should have a class for the "average" cars in autocross . . . maybe give me a couple of seconds because I don't want to prep my car like the "big dogs" in my class.

I could use a couple more miles per gallon in the econorun,  then I wouldn't have to coat all those hills and turn off the ignition at the stoplights.

A packet with, say three or four answers, in the ralley would be nice,  maybe even a GPS with the route.

Reminds me of the Kurt Vonnegut book "Sirens of Titan"  where everyone was handicaped down to the lowest common denominator so that life would be fair.   The pretty people wore masks,  the graceful were in chains.

Try Concours once, a lot of regional shows have judging per CORSA standards you will find out a lot about yourself and your Corvair.

I just want to see Ken Wildman with the Whale up on jackstands detailing it for concours . . .  and getting a gold. <G>

Terry Kalp