<VV> Concours vs. Car Display

Kent Sullivan kentsu at corvairkid.com
Tue Aug 8 03:36:31 EDT 2006

Jeff,

No concours judge, in operations or any other unit, should be wagging
fingers at participants. That is totally unacceptable--as is any other
behavior that could be interpreted as condescending or confrontational.
Judges must not interact with participants except to ask them to operate
items (if an "O" car) or to point out safety concerns. An example of the
latter is noticing a failed rear motor mount when judging Unit 5, engine &
compartment. (I found three in Buffalo this year.)

Proper behavior for judges is gone over each year at the judges' meeting,
which lasts a full hour and covers 20-some very-detailed points, complete
with a handout. Every judge I have had the pleasure of working with over the
past 10+ years has taken their job very seriously and has treated every
participant with the courtesy and respect they deserve. I've very sorry this
did not happen for you in Carlisle.

--Kent