<VV> Definition of concours

Smitty Smith vairologist at verizon.net
Tue Aug 8 13:25:05 EDT 2006

From: "Dave Keillor"

------------------snip-------------------
* Have a level of competition below Concours for those who don't
wish to compete in Concours (People's Choice does not constitute
competition by my definition).
-----------------snip----------------
I am not anti-Concours. I'll illustrate my suggestion with a tale of
two cars.
Car 1: '65 Monza coupe.
Car 2: '66 Monza convert.

At the outset all I wanted to propose was a place for cars like my
non-concours-worthy '66 to compete. Plus the bonus of more visibility
for Corvairs.
Dave Keillor
  Smitty says:  Dave this is not the curmudgeon Smitty, but the kind, thoughtfull understanding Smitty.  There is a place for both cars.  "In Concours".  If you wish to compete they will welcome you.  If you don't wish to compete then you can put your car in the display.  I am a master judge and have judged both cars you describe in concours.  They were judged against a standard of their peers, not against the standard of the 99 point Senior cars.  I have put my tired and worn car in displays for years because  I don't want to try to clean it to concourse 'winning" standards against the ravages of time and miles.  You notice I said winning.  I see no reason to enter unless I give it my best shot  I don't see display or even people's choice as a chance to compete, but only as an opportunity to let others see my car.
  My main point is, if you want to compete, go where the competition is.  If you don't want to, put it on display and enjoy it.