<VV> A/C Compressor ...Quasi Vair

Frank DuVal corvairduval at cox.net
Wed Aug 9 09:40:39 EDT 2006

Yes you should. Moisture is the enemy of A/C systems. At best it forms
an ice jam and prevents the flow of refrigerant. At worst it leads to
corrosion and non-lubrication of compressor bearings. It is also a non-
condensable ( I may have this term wrong) and as such will not act as a
refrigerant hence not as much cooling capacity.

Beg, borrow or steal a vacuum pump if you want your system to operate
correctly.

In the old days when there was no ozone warnings and R-12 was cheaaap,
shade (shady) tree mechanics would put one pound of R-12 into a system
to absorb the moisture and then purge it out quickly and hope the new
dryer would find the remaining moisture. But, it is way too expensive
money and environmentaly to do this now. Besides, even then it left
moisture in the system and problems resulted.

You can always use my vacuum pump source. Look around for a refrigerator
being tossed away and remove the compressor. If it runs, solder two
fitting on it that will fit your gages. Actually only one fitting is
needed, on the suction side. The other side is left open to the
atmosphere in operation. Just plug both openings when in service as mud
daubers, etc will build homes in the small tubes. This may not get you
down to 500 microns (the standard used in commercial HVAC), but it will
be a good start.

Add the freon to the system while it is still under vacuum and most of
the filling can be done without running the compressor!

We self proclaimed people also suggest rplacing the dryer every time the
system  is opened, but one can put a heat lamp on the dryer while the
vacuum pump is running to get the silica gel to release the moisture.
The silica gel recharges just fine, you replace the dryer to replace the
internal filter.

And don't forget to measure the oil charge to keep the compressor happy.

Who knew it was so much to work on A/C?

Frank DuVal