<VV> Concours Question

P.H. Raker n556p at yahoo.com
Wed Aug 9 12:22:13 EDT 2006

Hello, all,
     Someone (I forget who) recently wrote:
> We all miss a bug or 2, or 50. Either on the antenna,
> or on a wiper arm or under a bumper.

OK.  That's undoubtedly true.  Now for the question ....

     What is the whole point of the Concours?  Is it to judge the
condition of the Corvair, or is it to judge the owner's detailing
ability?  Somewhere along the line, I had gotten the idea that we were
supposed to be judging the car rather than counting bugs missed.

     I grant you that any car looks better when it is clean (as in
completely detailed).  However, if you were to take this year's
best-of-show car, drive it 1000 miles, and then re-enter it in a
concours with only a quick wash-off-the-obvious-bugs first, wouldn't it
still be the same car?  Are we judging the car or it's cleanliness?  It
seems to me that there is a big difference.  Am I missing something?

     I'm new to CORSA, but plan in 2 weeks to attend my first all-'Vair
show - the Homecoming.  I plan to enter the Concours there just to see
where in the continuum my car sits.  I also plan to drive it nearly 200
miles to the event and don't plan to spend many hours cleaning it
afterward.  We'll see.

     Phil Raker
     '65 Corsa 140