<VV> A/C Compressor ...Quasi Vair

FrankCB at aol.com FrankCB at aol.com
Thu Aug 10 11:59:33 EDT 2006

All good points, except that I would be surprised  if a refrigerator
compressor could "pull" a deep enough vacuum to remove nearly  all the air from an A/C
system.  After all, a regular A/C compressor in a  car is only designed to
work with suction side pressure of 25 to 45 psiG, so it  seems unlikely that it
could get close to 0 psiA (MINUS 14.7  psiG)
    I certainly agree that besides  removing non-condensible air (while air
can be condensed to produce liquid  air, it certainly can't be done in a
conventional A/C system) which greatly  dilutes the cooling capability of the
refrigerant, pulling a  "deep" vacuum is also necessary to remove moisture that
causes  corrosion.  In addition, pulling and HOLDING a "deep" vacuum proves  that
the system is tight and will not leak out refrigerant after it is put  into
service.  Nearly all automotive A/C systems will eventually lose  refrigerant
due to vibration, and seal leakage.  My 1989 Beretta has to  have a 14 oz can of
R-12 added about every 7 to 8 YEARS to  restore cooling capability.  After 11
YEARS I just had to add my  first can of 134a to my Trans Sport's A/C to
restore it.  Our fondly  remembered "Joe Cool" 1966 Corvair eventually had to have
a can of  R-12 added every 2 WEEKS to maintain it's cooling capability.  Of
course,  those days, I could get R-12 on sale for 99 cents per can, so it
wasn't too  painful.<GGG>  And the 38 degree F. air that the Corvair  blew out the
center vent was better than that of any newer car that I ever  tested.
    But, as usual, I digress.  While  automotive A/C systems eventually
develop leaks, those A/C systems found in  window cooling units and refrigerators
have a much longer leak-free  life.  My refrigerator was bought in April 1969
and is still keeping my ice  cream hard!  While I did have to replace the
thermostat, the fan, and the  defrost coil, the refrigerant equipment is still the
original.  This is  undoubtedly due to all metal tubing (no hoses) and the
fact that the compressor  and driver (electric motor) are permanently sealed in a
metal  enclosure with NO shaft seals needed on the compressor - unlike the
A/C  automotive compressors.
    Frank "prefers to repair rather than buy new  stuff" Burkhard

In a message dated 8/9/2006 9:41:30 AM Eastern Standard Time,