<VV> 5 speed

Padgett pp2 at 6007.us
Thu Aug 10 22:01:26 EDT 2006

At 09:26 PM 8/10/2006, you wrote:
>  In the mid 80's I believe GM produced the S-10 series pickups with a 4
> speed overdrive transmision. Basicly first through third gears were 3
> speed type gearing with fouth a shallow overdrive (.8x:1 range if memory
> serves me). Would it be easier to regear an existing case rather than to
> adapt anther drivetrain?

The problem is that most transmissions hook to the engine on one end and
the driveshaft on the other. The Corvair has the differential sandwiched
between the engine and the transmission. This means that the power goes
from the engine, through the middle of the differential and transmission to
the far end where it turns the input gear. The output shaft to the
differential is hollow and the input shaft goes through it so both input
and output are from the same end of the transmission. This is really a
transaxle but most point the other way. Porche and air cooled VWs used the
same arrangement but it is not common.

Powerglides are even stranger with the torque converter next to the engine,
then the differential, then the transmission.

Am sure someone will correct me if I got it rong.

Padgett