RE <VV> 5 speed transmission

Arjay Morgan n3lkz at yahoo.com
Fri Aug 11 00:26:20 EDT 2006

Way back when I can remember cars that had electric overdrive switches. When pressed, the unit activated the overdrive, which in essence, added a gear to whatever gear you were in. I also seem to recall seeing the unit itself bolted to the tailpiece of the regular transmission.  Wouldn't such a device work on a Corvair (assuming you could find one), or isn't there enough room?

  A Google search found dozens of electric overdrive sunglasses offers, a few electric overdrive guitars and a reference to an electric overdrive offered by recent Volvo models.

  As it was explained to me, the overdrive interposed a higher gear ratio between the end of the transmission and the beginning of the differential.

  On a completely different note:
  Thanks to all who offered cures/suggestions for my black-mold-on-the-seatback issue. I'll try as many as are reasonable, but as a last resort I realize I can always wipe the seats down with acetone then repaint them with the Firethorn Red vinyl paint that sells for $14.00/can. Ouch.

  Arjay Morgan
  64 Monza convert