<VV>Overdrive

Tony Underwood tonyu at roava.net
Fri Aug 11 15:56:32 EDT 2006

At 08:17 hours 08/11/2006, tkalp at cox.net wrote:
>Chrysler made an overdrive 4-speed back in the '70's or '80's.

Both.   That would be the A-833OD gearbox, which is externally
identical to the A833.

>They used their standard 4 speed, left "fourth" as 1:1 but put
>overdrive gears in the third gear position.

They did this by pretty much swapping the sizes of the 3rd gear on
the syncro hub with the 3rd gear on the countergear.   Thus, 3rd gear
was overdriven instead of underdriven.

>Then they flipped the third/fourth shifting arm 180 degrees so when
>you drove and put the shifter in to third position, it actually
>selected the 1:1 "fourth gear" and the shifter's fourth gear
>position selected the overdrive "third gear".

It was rather ingenious, since it meant no changes to the gearbox
case or most of the other hardware that went into the
assembly.   They did change the cluster gear and the 2nd gear idler
so as to make a wider spread between 1st and 2nd, to keep from having
such a big gap between 2nd and "3rd" which was actually 1:1.

With a torky engine, this gearbox was the best of both
worlds.   There's one of these gearboxes in the Dodge Ram pickup in
the driveway.    Works well.   The truck has some gotohell rear end
gears in it which would make it terrible on the highway if not for
that OD gearbox.

>With the single rail shifter in a Corvair it would be trickier to
>get the correct pattern.

Actually, it would be almost impossible.   No external linkage for
the 'Vair gearbox...  you'd have to swap out 3rd and 4th via the gear
shift, which means shifting from 1st to 2nd, then to "4th" and then
"3rd" according to the standard shift pattern...  and you'd need to
be prepared for a rather steep drop between 2nd and the new "3rd"
gear.   But it would sure help out if the Vair has 3:55 gears and
short tires and runs the highways often.

My '60 buzzes like a weed-eater in traffic on the Interstate, keep
finding myself looking for another gear.

>The effect would not be much different then using a 3:08 and wide
>ratio transmission.

The modifications to the Vair gearbox would involve some cutting and
welding on the cluster and synchro idler gears...  which has already
been done by the racers to change gear spacing etc.   No reason
someone couldn't do this to a Vair gearbox to add an overdrive ala
the Chrysler A833OD gearbox trick.

What you would have in effect would be a three speed with
overdrive...  and what's more, if someone wanted to actually do this,
a kit could be cooked up to convert a "typical" Vair gearbox (you'd
have to make sure which one) into an OD variant.

Now, if someone could conjure up a means to keep the 3-4 shift the
way it started out...  ;)

tony..