<VV> Oil Cooler Question

Brent Covey brentcovey at hotmail.com
Sat Aug 12 22:59:53 EDT 2006

Hi Garth,

In round terms the folded fin and 12 plate coolers have roughtly the same
cooling ability-

If the engine is running slowly with limited airflow, like an a/c car, the
folded fin has a slight advantage, if its running at highish rpm, say
driving 85 mph, the 12 plate has a slight advantage.

Generally speaking, the 8 plate is adequate in most situations, so either a
folded fin or a 12 plate is extra and great. The folded fin is my preference
as its a bolt in for 8 plate cars and doesnt need any mods to work. Folded
fin coolers were more expensive and plugged from debris easier, so were
discontinued in favour of the plate-style coolers.

Overall, Corvair oil temperatures are generally lower than V8 cars in normal
driving, and oil cooling isnt a very important issue on non-modified
engines. The oil temperature is really related to fuel consumption, what
heats it is piston temps, so running at heavy throttle drives it up. The oil
is heated from splashing on the underside of the pistons. Below 80 mph, and
under 100F Corvair is usually cooler than the usual V8 car.

Hope thats some help,
Brent Covey,
Vancouver BC

> The reason for asking is that I have a donor motor with the proper shroud
and 12 plate cooler and am curious on what oil temperature impact this might
have.