<VV> PG leak

Dan & Synde dsjkling at sbcglobal.net
Sun Aug 13 14:45:31 EDT 2006

Hi Padgett,

You are correct, you need to remove the pan, once that is done, there is a
bolt that locks the inside lever to the shaft.  Be careful because there are
two bolts, one will change the adjustment on the lever, don't touch that
one, just loosen the one that clamps the internal lever onto the shaft.
Once loose, just pull the shaft out.  Replace the o-ring and reinsert the
shaft.  The shaft is keyed so it will only go into the internal lever one
way.  Tighten the clamping bolt and your done.

Now in regards to transmission leaks, the one on our UltraVan was leaking in
multiple places.  I can vouch for the fact that the transmission shift cable
will leak from a crack in the housing.  I think I know what John Miller was
getting at and that is the fact that Dexron will wick almost anywhere giving
the illusion that a leak is coming from a different spot than it really is.
I know for sure though  that my cable was leaking from a crack in the cable
housing.  I wiped everything down and observed the fluild dripping directly
from the crack and not running from anywhere else.  Obviously too, anywhere
there is an o-ring, there could potentially be a leak.

My transmission was also leaking from the front pump cover o-ring because
someone had nicked the aluminum housing and had tried to reuse the old
o-ring by covering it in RTV.  I had to smooth out the nick in the housing
and replace the o-ring duing a rebuild to get it to not leak.  The torque
converter seal was leaking because the stator shaft and torque converter
bushing were worn thus I had a leak at the bellhousing.

Hope this helps,

Dan Kling

1961 Greenbrier Deluxe, 4spd, 3.89  On the Road Again,  yeehaw :)
1963 Spyder, restored   4spd Saginaw
1967 Ultravan #299  Newest of the herd!! Almost killed me already!!

http://photos.yahoo.com/duchesskyra
A few pictures of the Greenbrier, UltraVan, engine and tranny tear down with
more to come!