<VV> beware the mud dauber

Tony Underwood tonyu at roava.net
Mon Aug 14 15:21:30 EDT 2006

At 12:56 hours 08/11/2006, Ron wrote:
>I had a gas line to the left carburetor plugged that way once when I
>was working on an engine.  Had a dickens of a time figuring out why
>that carb wasn't getting any fuel.
>RonH

Do NOT get me started on those little bastards...

One even managed to crawl inside the vent passage on one of the spray
guns and plug it with mud down where I couldn't see it, spray gun was
acting strange while painting glass channels on the white Lakewood,
caused much experimentation with Carlin's 7 words.

My '60 4-door was shifting hard, finally found that the steel tube to
the modulator valve was clogged with...

Mud Dauber "cement".    How it managed to find the open end of the
steel line that quick was a mystery since it was only unhooked for a
day or so while I was chasing down a fresh rubber hose piece to go
between the crossover tube and modulator line.   This, after I'd
managed to find the coiled up stash of rubber hose in the shed, cut a
short piece off to put on the modulator line and found that the
*rubber hose* was clogged...  slapped it against the shed a time or
two, stuck the air hose nozzle on it and let 'er rip, and dust, silt,
and wasp larva flew out the end of it.    I checked the rest of the
coiled rubber hose and *it* was clogged too, repeated the process as
described above, more dust, dirt, wasp larva.

Did I mention the three rows of mud dauber "Quonset huts" I found in
the door jamb of the white Lakewood?

I got suspicious, checked the box of pump-to-carb fuel lines and half
of them have been visited by mud daubers.   Makes me wonder what else
in the shed is stopped up.

I'm starting to dislike mud daubers a lot.

tony..