<VV> To rebuild or not rebuild, that is the question

Cliff Tibbitts tibbitts at qx.net
Mon Aug 14 18:12:19 EDT 2006

I think Bob's question has a lot to do with my response.  "Is the engine in
or out of the car?"  It sounds as if it is out.  If so, go ahead and tear it
down.  It sounds as if you have a complete engine.  You are going to crack
the case to replace the camshaft at the very least.  Take a good look at the
crank and bearings, if they aren't scored or burnt, then get some
plastigauge and check tolerances.  If good put it back together.  Make
certain everything goes back in the same place.  At the very least, remove
the rings and clean the grooves, hone cylinders, and finally take a look at
the valves.

If you are not going to replace the cam, then just get it running for now
and see how it goes.

Cliff Tibbitts
Lexington, KY