<VV> Notes

Tony Underwood tonyu at roava.net
Tue Aug 15 02:25:03 EDT 2006

Group:

This weekend I had the opportunity to perform a hard-harder
examination while moving, aka the impromptu emergency stopping
distance test.    I was going down a 4 lane divided highway, daughter
and one of her teenage associates in the car doing what teenage girls
do while riding in my '60 4-door...  mostly ducking when they saw
boys and going "Eeww" every few seconds.

Then came the dumb-ass dog which is likely soon to be, if not
already, street pizza... silly little moronic canine strolled out
into the street, crossing the road directly in front of me.   I stood
on the  brakes.

They locked up and all four tires screeched and the 4-door slid to a
stop, blue tire smoke swirling around as the stupid-ass dog ambled
his way to the curb, never even glanced in my direction.   I shoulda
run over his ass, but I decided to stop.    Now:

The car didn't stop as quickly as I think it should have.    The
tires are almost new, Goodyear radials, 185x80/13s.   The  brakes are
in good shape, recently got some preventative maintenance.   The car
stops OK in normal driving, no pulling or anything else unusual in
everyday operation.

This is the first time I actually did what's regarded as a "panic
stop" at any speed (about 35-40 mph).     My other 'Vairs stop better
than that.   The Corsa ragtop will practically stand on its nose in a
panic stop.    Then again, it's wearing 235-60s on front, 265-60s on
the back...

The other 'Vairs here generally have tires half again as wide as the
tires on my '60.   The black marks on the street behind me looked
about right, not too narrow considering the tire size, or uneven etc,
so the tires were planted reasonably well on the pavement.   I'm
running higher than "factory" tire pressures, around 36 in back,
about 26 in front.   The car rides well, and it doesn't present any
handling irregularities that aren't expected for a '60 4-door.    I
would wager the car would have stopped quicker if I'd been running
"factory" pressures, but I've driven 'Vairs with those pressures and
they handle like a rowboat.

The tires just didn't seem to present as much "footprint" on the
ground as needed to stop the car any quicker.   I do believe that the
car could have stopped in a shorter distance if it had been wearing
wider (or stickier) tires.

This may well be something to consider if you have a daily driver and
you mount tires on it that may not be up to gripping the road the way
modern wider tires do.

tony..