<VV> Front Drive - Non-Corvair

WillSmithTFPOCAllenTexas TheFreshPrinceofCorvair at comcast.net
Tue Aug 15 00:36:28 EDT 2006

I was teaching dealer mechanics for GM when the 80-X was introduced. They told us the reason for transverse mount engine front drive had nothing to do with performance, etc....it was simply to allow the car to be smaller and lighter, so the emission std could be met, but have an interior big enough for Americans to get into. Chev sold the go-whammies out of the Citation...lots of dealers were selling for sticker plus.

Speaking of FWD, the Toro, Eldo, Riv were E-Body cars...I always wondered why Buick refused to make the Riv FWD...that Olds FWD setup was stout enough to propel the GMC motor home...but you already knew that, I bet! That RV was sure easy to climb up into...sat real close to the ground.

Will Smith
"The Fresh Prince of Corvair"
WANTED: 66 Monza vert, 110, pg, white top, no rust, great condition, driver for Parade Duty and taking kids for a ride in something they've never seen plus playing "Find the Motor".