<VV> RE: Tire aging

mopar at jbcs2.net mopar at jbcs2.net
Tue Aug 15 15:05:04 EDT 2006

OK, I guess this is really nothing to brag about, but most of my cars have
"OLD" tires on them.
My 73 T-Bird I have never bought tires for. The Original Firestone 500's
were replaced in 1978 due to the recall and they are still on the car, but
possibly 20,000 miles on them.
My 67 Monza has had the same tires on it since 82, with possibly 20,000
miles on them, and they have almost no visible wear.
66 Dodge, has the same tires since 1986
67 Coronet, same tires since 1994
My 1996 Indy Ram pickup, still same tires.

the Rat Rod Corvair, I am driving on vintage Atlas Bias ply tires with wide
whites, venture a guess they were made in the early 60's........and stored.

I always give my cars the once over during spring prep, and I do check for
dry rot, cracking, or wear.
Mayve I'm just lucky, never had one blow, but there is a push out there to
make tire age a part of vehicle inspection with a time they will expire no
matter how they are worn........

Gary Swiatowy