<VV> Clutch Cable Strech?

Tim Verthein minoxphotographer at yahoo.com
Tue Aug 15 15:49:15 EDT 2006

Sharing this post with the forum...so if you do both..excure the
re-run....

As you may remember, in Twinsburg last month, I had trouble with the
clutch cable in the '64. Got to where I could hardly get it to
disengage the clutch enough to shift gears. I adjusted the slack out of
the cable (in the pouring rain) and it's been fine since. I had
previously had no troubles at all in a year of daily driver use. I have
yet to figure out any reason for this. It kinda bugs me. I just
finished doing a good exam of the cable/pulleys. I see no wear at all
to the cable, in fact, I'm betting it was put in shortly before we
bought the car a year and a half ago, simply because it looks new and
shiny, even at the rear where it attaches to the linkage (if I wipe the
road dust off it). I note now it has a tad of slack in it again, but
just a teensy bit.

Is it possible that this was a new cable on the car, and by putting it
into regular use it streched some with use? Or am I nuts? The parking
brake cable isn't as tight as it used to be either. Naturally, I use it
pretty regularly too, and again, I can find no signs of damage/wear. I
suppose it would change some with wear to the rear brakes, but aren't
they self adjusting?

Anyway, just bugging me that I haven't found a cause for the relatively
large amount of clutch cable slack I picked up on the trip.

Tim in Bovey

===
You *can* repair a flip-flop with a capacitor!
===