<VV> Tire Dating

Bill Elliott corvair at fnader.com
Tue Aug 15 16:25:59 EDT 2006

Yes, there is a DOT stamp on every tire sold in the US.

 From a reference site:

"Here's a typical DOT number that might be found on a European tire...
DOT XT VE XKAw 09xx. What's all this mean?

The obvious is DOT, Department of Transportation, but next is XT. The
two letters or numbers following "DOT" refer to the manufacturer and the
factory location at which the tire was made, in this case Pirelli's
factory in Sandbach, West Germany. The "VE" is a typical letter - number
combination that refers to the specific mold used for forming the tire.
The "XKAw" can mean anything... possibly even secret code from one
Pirelli chap to another, but likely batch codes. And the final numbers
refer to the date when the tire was made. In the case of our example
"09" is the ninth week of "xx", where "xx" can either be a single digit
if the tire was made prior to 2000 or 2 digits if after 2000. The "xx"
is the year. A single "7" would be 1997, "03" would be 2003."

Those final four numbers are the key to age... it's also worth looking
at when you are buying NEW tires... sometimes those "new" tires are
really quite old...

Bill