<VV> Suspension question

Louis C. Armer,Jr. carmerjr at mindspring.com
Wed Aug 16 00:01:11 EDT 2006

Hey all, I am in the process of pulling Darth Vair's drivetrain in
order to find the reason(s) for his five
cylinder orneriness and along with this I am going to return to
non-nylon bushed strut rods. Upon removal
of the strut rods and inspecting the camber bolt area I have
discovered a possible problem on both trailing
arms. This is what I found at the area where the lower shock absorber
bracket is welded to the trailing arm.
The reinforced area where the camber bolt goes through both the
reinforcement and the shock mounting
bracket has enough space between the layers to easily run an index
card or thicker piece of paper up in the area
and past the oval bolt hole cutout. Both sides exhibit this space and
it appears as if initially there was NO weld there.
When I examined the area on the front side of the strut rod bracket I
found the reinforcement on both sides to be
just alike and with no space between the apparently factory welded
layers of reinforced metal. This area is reinforced
to hold the outer strut rod bushing and have the camber bolt assembly
pass through the strut rod and thus allows for
the rear alignment adjustment. I don't have any other trailing arms
handy to determine if the area of space was there
originally or if I might have broken welds because of stress caused
by nylon bushings being used at inner and outer
strut rod mountings. Any observations of viewable strut rods and or
past experience with a similar problem would be
welcomed and please post the list as this may be a possible failing
of LM trailing arms caused by the strut rods in
conjunction with nylon bushings.

Chuck Armer

CORSA Member
CORSA Tri-membership Chairman