<VV> gas tank

Paul Abel pbob63 at frontiernet.net
Wed Aug 16 17:44:47 EDT 2006

Hi All,

Thanks to everyone who offered their advice on removing, and / or
cleaning the tank on my 65 sedan. I wasn't going to drop the tank
because after all, it was brand new before the car was parked in '90. I
decided to heed the advice of those advocating dropping the tank
completely. I could, afterall, replace the lf brake line at the same
time. Once I finally figured out how to drop the stabilizer bar, It was
indeed a piece of cake, although a little tricky disconecting the filler
tube. I just couldn't believe the crap inside that tank. There had to be
at least an inch of rust and shellac in the tank. The float had
disintegrated completely, and the strainer was litterally clogged solid.
Sending unit was likewise caked with shellac like stuff.

Called my local mom and pop radiator shop and they said "bring it down".
Cost is 50 bucks to boil it out. If after that, it needs it again, then
they charge more. (not sure how much more) If its really bad, they will
seal it with "red" something or other. at a cost of around 200 bucks.
I'm hoping one or two boilings will be enough. If it needs more, I'll
considering sealing it myself with POR or something.

Anyhow, thanks again to you guys. I'll let you all know what the
diagnosis and final cost was when I get it back.

Paul Abel
65 Monza sedan 110pg.