<VV> Mud Dawbers?

LonzoVair at aol.com LonzoVair at aol.com
Sat Aug 19 10:38:38 EDT 2006

In a message dated 8/19/2006 7:12:18 A.M. Eastern Standard Time,
pbob63 at frontiernet.net writes:

Excuse  my ignorance, but what are" Mud Dawbers"?

The Mud-dauber, scientific name 'Sceliphron caementarium', is a member  of
the family of 'thread waisted wasps'. They are usually anywhere from 3/4  inch
to 1.25 inches long and their abdomen is stalked at the base. They make  their
nests of mud and provision them with spiders, grasshoppers, and sometimes
caterpillars. The nests can be in the shape of a ping pong ball to the size of a
softball... or sometimes they will make "apartments" taking up areas as large
as  one square foot.  They will also nest in "ready made" holes (this is
where the Corvair comes in) sealing the hole shut with mud, using anything from
a bolt hole to a spot behind the license plate. The holes in the head where
the  block studs go through are a great place for them to nest, as are metal
fuel  lines and practically any other orifice on the Corvair or it's engine. I've
also  found them in fender wells, behind headlight bezels, in door hinge
areas, in  tail pipes (I've got a story about the paper wasp nests in my tailpipes
on my  Greenbrier at the 2004 convention, but I'll save it for later).... and
just  about any other place they can hide.
I hope this clears things up...
Later,
Lonzo.... long time nature nut...

Lon Anderson  in White Mills, KY
CORSA, Corvanatics, Derby City Corvair, Central Ky  Corvair
Quart Low Quarterly Editor
1961 Greenbrier 110/pg
1963  Greenbrier 110/4spd
1964 700 sedan 95/pg