<VV> Fuel Economy

FrankCB at aol.com FrankCB at aol.com
Sat Aug 19 12:25:16 EDT 2006

Rodney,
    With correctly setup EFI and driven reasonably your  highway mileage
should be closer to 30 mpg.  You don't indicate the  conditions under which you
achieve only 18 mpg so it's hard to advise you.   If my 1965 Corsa 180 turbo
could make 22 mpg just driving (mostly highway  but frequently boosted) back and
forth to work every day, you should certainly  be able to do better than 18
mpg.
    Is your EFI setup to give A/F ratio of around 15  (or higher) at cruising
speed?  You can install a O2 sensor and indicator  unit (preferably wideband)
in the exhaust to indicate how your EFI is  doing.  Also, your ignition
timing should be setup correctly.  If your  timing is retarded so you can run on
regular gas instead of the 7% more costly  premium gas you are definitely losing
mpg.
    You also need to keep REAL records to give correct  mileage figures.  You
need to write down the odometer reading and the  gallons taken every time you
refill your tank.  I use a small spiral pocket  notebook that I keep in the
glove compartment.  (It's also handy to  keep track of oil and filter changes,
and other maintenance items especially if  you drive more than one car.)
After several thousand miles you can  correctly calculate mpg.
    For best mileage, you also need to do  "anticipatory" driving, as our
local club prez Bob Marlow calls it.  This  means driving well behind the guy in
front of you and watching things  occurring many cars ahead of you so you
hardly ever have to jam on your  brakes.  Show me the guy who gets 100,000 miles
on a set of brakes and I'll  show you a guy who's getting the best mileage from
his  vehicle.
    Good luck on improving your mileage.
    Frank "hates to pay money for foreign oil"  Burkhard

In a message dated 8/19/2006 10:44:02 AM Eastern Standard Time,