<VV> Corvette 1st Impressions compared

Padgett pp2 at 6007.us
Mon Aug 21 17:08:12 EDT 2006

> >> When the light changed, the Vette was screaming tires and shaking
> windows a
> >> block away, and the Jag, was, well, a block away, before the Vette
> started moving.

Once upon a time in Indiana there was a major autocross at Indianapolis
Raceway Park. The course was so long that two cars went in threes, the
first going for time, the second counting any pylons knocked over and the
third to pick up any fallen pylons (didn't say it was a good idea). The
second and third cars were supposed to bypass the pylons. At the time I had
a '61 E-type that had been warmed over a bit and had the stickiest tires I
could find.

So for the run there was the Jag for time and being classed with the
'vettes, two late models behind (well late for 197x). Shall we just say
that at the end of the run, the Jag had the length of the dragstrip
straight on the chase vettes.

Not to say there is not a place for them, my  thousand dollar 63 split
window was great in B/P because in Indiana/Michigan at the time it was bar
none the *cheapest* car a GMI student could run in SCCA. Long blocks were
$35, Muncie 4-speeds $35. Rochester FI units were $50 and a Holley.  New
15x8 rims for $15.  Couldn't even field a Bugeye in H for that.(and once a
squirrel...)

Though the Jags did leave a legacy - my Monza now has an oil pressure gauge.

Padgett