<VV> corvair air conditioning compressor and decal information

cubman8195 at aol.com cubman8195 at aol.com
Tue Aug 22 12:26:05 EDT 2006

Hi guys,

Sorry it took so long to get you this information.

As I said in the Airvair meeting in Buffalo, a brand new, reverse-rotation A6 air conditioning compressor is still being manufactured by Alma Prouducts in Michigan.  The Alma Products part number is 51-86029A.  This compressor has English mounting threads so it is a bolt in installation.  I was told by the Alma Products engineer that in order to use this compressor you must:  1.  Drain the oil (comes with R134a oil) and replace with 10 oz. of R12 compatable oil.  2.  Remove the supplied clutch (completely different from Corvair clutch) and replace it with your Corvair A/C clutch.  This compressor can be ordered at most auto A/C parts house.

A new sixty's vintage compressor sticker can be found at this link:

http://www.yearone.com/serverfiles/fbshopmain2.asp?cat=0

They dont sell one specifically for the Corvair compressor, but other than the part number and charge information, they look identical to the real thing.

Dan Perry
Chandler AZ