<VV> Concoursphobia Part I / Broken Promises

Louis C. Armer,Jr. carmerjr at mindspring.com
Tue Aug 22 14:46:14 EDT 2006

Several suggestions on how to improve your bottom........;-)

Wipe it of course...........................

Cans of brake cleaner are easily applied to greasy/dirty areas and
you can catch the
runoff with newspapers or cardboard

simply wipe with a paper towel all your zerk fittings

in the engine compartment if you have debris/crap/grease/oil located
in "The Hell Hole"...........
a ditto to the brake cleaner spray BUT do it before you spray your bottom

windex and paper towels will easily brighten up the inner/back area
of your wheel rims and you can
easily jack up one side of the car and rotate the rims as you wipe

pay attention to the areas below both bumpers and the bottom outside
chrome surfaces of the bumpers
and the backside and underside of your front spoiler

These are not hard items to accomplish and will easily improve your
undercarriage scores with very little effort
and especially with those very helpful young eyes and flexible joints
of an energetic enthusiastic daughters........
BE CAREFUL and don't violate the Michigan child labor laws !!! <GGG>

da Chuckster
Chuck Armer

At 09:55 PM 8/21/2006, you wrote:
>I am going to break all the promises I made to myself.
>
>After the discussion on VV about concours, I have decided to try a
>little experiment.  The DACC is hosting a concours at the Homecoming
>this year as a dry run for the International Convention next
>year.  My daughters and I washed my '65 Corsa convertible tonight
>and I am going to enter it in the concours on Saturday.  I don't
>plan on putting the car on jackstands or spending any time detailing
>the bottom of the car, so I expect to fare poorly on the chassis
>judging.  (I will spend some time this week taking care of some odds
>and ends that need my attention.)  I think the rest of the car is
>nice, but not perfect, and this has been a nearly-daily-driven car
>all summer, including a cruise to Beefalo and back, so we will see
>how much it matters to go insane on the bottom of the
>car.  Afterwards, I'll share my impressions with those who fear
>concours because of the dreaded undercarraige.
>
>My goal here is, first, to participate in another Corvair related
>event, and second, to take the plunge publicly so that some of the
>others on the list who are gunshy about concours can look at me,
>laugh, and say that they can't embarrass themselves as badly as THAT
>guy did.  I am not worried about how the car will score; the goal is
>to make concours fun for the average Vair without having to change the rules.
>
>I also volunteered to help with the judging, figuring that it's my
>civic duty, so I will post on that experience as well.
>
>Norm Witte
>
>PS:  I guess I am not breaking ALL the promises I made to myself,
>since I don't plan on learning calculus this weekend.
>////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

CORSA Member
CORSA Tri-membership Chairman
Corvair Atlanta Member
Corvair Atlanta BOD