<VV>Snake Oyl

Padgett pp2 at 6007.us
Wed Aug 23 21:35:31 EDT 2006

>I remember a snake oil type salesguy harping on a device that went
>between the coil and the cap high volt wire.  He had a early '60's
>chevy.  He had a tach and showed how the RPMs INCREASED when his magic
>device was added!

Probably just a gap. Adding more gap will make the coil build up a bit more
energy before discharging but could probably do the same thing by reducing
the dwell (opening the points a bit more). Decreasing the dwell will also
retard the spark slightly. It does require the ignition to be in tip top
shape otherwise.

Does sound a bit like the salesmen from the Ethyl company who would dip
their ties in TEL and wave it over the intake on a badly knocking engine.
Would smooth right out (what the effect this had on their lifespan is not
mentioned). Not saying this happened but a small magnet held next to a tach
will change the reading a bit. The wise guy will hold it concealed in the
hand or a big ring next to the tach without the gadget to make it read
lower and then remove it for the demo.

Padgett