<VV>Snake Oyl

Duane, Jim (US SSA) Jim.Duane at it.BAESystems.com
Thu Aug 24 10:06:21 EDT 2006

Pretty slick!  Mr. Snake also pulled a couple of plug wires and started
the car without his miracle device.  The engine would not stay running.
He adds the device and it would start and remain running...  This guy
sold at least 20 of them after his demo.  I have no idea how he pulled
it off, but he was set up in front of the local Zayre (long gone
discount department chain store) in my home town if Medford MA...
	I wonder how many other scams there are like the TEL and the air
gap were out there...

JED

-----Original Message-----
From: virtualvairs-bounces at corvair.org
[mailto:virtualvairs-bounces at corvair.org] On Behalf Of Padgett
Sent: Wednesday, August 23, 2006 9:36 PM
To: virtualvairs at corvair.org
Subject: Re: <VV>Snake Oyl

>I remember a snake oil type salesguy harping on a device that went
>between the coil and the cap high volt wire.  He had a early '60's
>chevy.  He had a tach and showed how the RPMs INCREASED when his magic
>device was added!

Probably just a gap. Adding more gap will make the coil build up a bit
more
energy before discharging but could probably do the same thing by
reducing
the dwell (opening the points a bit more). Decreasing the dwell will
also
retard the spark slightly. It does require the ignition to be in tip top

shape otherwise.

Does sound a bit like the salesmen from the Ethyl company who would dip
their ties in TEL and wave it over the intake on a badly knocking
engine.
Would smooth right out (what the effect this had on their lifespan is
not
mentioned). Not saying this happened but a small magnet held next to a
tach
will change the reading a bit. The wise guy will hold it concealed in
the
hand or a big ring next to the tach without the gadget to make it read
lower and then remove it for the demo.

Padgett

<SNIP>