<VV> Snake Oyl

Dale Smiley CPBE dsmiley at wthr.com
Thu Aug 24 14:39:56 EDT 2006

    I first ran into this at a car show on Chicago's Navy Pier back in
the early '60s. This thing is, as has been said a 'spark gap' added to
the center tower of the distributor. The secondary output voltage of an
ignition coil will continue to increase until it reaches the 'ionization
voltage' of the plug gap. When the plug fires, the voltage rapidly goes
to zero. If the plug(s) is (are) fouled then the voltage will be bled
off and the plug will never fire. What our friendly salesman is doing is
adding a fixed gap that will cause the coil secondary voltage to reach a
higher than normal level before it 'fires' passing this higher voltage
on to the plug.

    This higher voltage 'can' (no guarantee) clear a badly fouled plug,
or make a spark jump a plug with a gap too wide for the normal ignition
output to fire. One of the tricks they used was to install plugs with
very wide gaps, ones that would run the engine with the 'miracle device'
installed, but would be marginal at best without it. This was, of
course, done well before the suckers...err..customers, yeah that's it,
arrived! BTW, back in the day, JCW and others sold plugs with a built in
additional gap for worn engines that were using oil and constantly
fouling the normal plugs. They worked for a while!

    The guy at Navy Pier had an old six-cylinder engine with an old
mechanical speedo connected to show the 'speed' of the engine. No tricks
were needed to make it change readings, the device was doing as
advertised on THAT engine. I learned from a friend who had watched him
set up for a different show that he took a couple of hours to get the
plug gaps just right to get the effect he wanted. So, was it Snake Oyl,
or not? It DID help a little if you had a marginal ignition or worn
engine. Now we just throw in an Ignitor and get the better results with
no points!

Dale Smiley
Indianapolis
'66 Corsa 180 Turbo