<VV>Brakez

Padgett pp2 at 6007.us
Sat Aug 26 00:20:13 EDT 2006

>...no brake failures in 25 yrs...

I just had a brake failure on my daily driver. Caliper bolt sheared and
other bolt wiggled out (reconstructing what happened). Caliper or pad then
wedged under spindle and punched hole in aluminum wheel and then the tire
deflated. Other than surprise at the BANG was uneventful though at freeway
speed next to a construction rail. Thought was just a flat. Rong. Wheel was
unrepairable and is destined to become a lamp.

Today the replacement set of used but decent wheels arrived from Mass.
Seems the wheels are no longer made and all I could find after searching
everywhere was a full set so now have three spares. Used wheels & shipping
cost more than the original set when new (got a good deal then) but was
less than other options and I like them..

Just mounted with my Harbor Freight $39.95 (on sale) portable tire changer
(plug) but the long arm (four foot long lever used to install tire) leaves
a lot to be desired. Anyone know what the real name of the lever is and
have a URL for a good one ?

Padgett