<VV> Aftermarket Camshafts in Turbo Engines

Tony Underwood tonyu at roava.net
Sun Aug 27 01:56:10 EDT 2006

At 04:48 hours 08/26/2006, BobHelt at aol.com wrote:
>In a message dated 8/26/06 3:35:28 PM Pacific Daylight Time, tonyu at roava.net
>writes:
>
> > .   The 95 heads work much
> > better on a turbo engine, to the point where I wonder why GM didn't
> > use that chamber design in the first place.
> >
> > Tony,
>
>Chevrolet did pretty much use the 95 chamber design in the 1962-63 Turbo
>engines. It was a little different from the 95 heads, but not much.

Yep, I have a pair of '63 turbo heads and the chamber is
similar...  but not quite as deep as the 95 head chamber, and the
squish is a little different as well in that it's not as "steep",
but, as you said, it's not different enough to notice quickly.

It's also worth mentioning that the '63 turbo engine's cam was also a
little hotter than other std 'Vair cams.    The book "How To Hotrod
Corvair Engines" has some interesting details on the performance
differences in a '63 turbo Vair when various simple mods were tried
out, stuff as simple as removing the muffler... which made an
interesting difference in 0-60 times.

>  It was only
>in 1964 that they went to the open chamber design.

Had a couple of them as well...  and I mean had.   I gave them away,
as I recall, along with one of the 180 heads I had, still have the
other one somewhere.

tony..