Fwd: <VV> Jacking

HallGrenn at aol.com HallGrenn at aol.com
Sun Aug 27 21:05:13 EDT 2006

In a message dated 8/27/2006 8:59:00 P.M. Eastern Standard Time, HallGrenn

From: Harry Yarnell

So, hanging the whole powertrain from the three  mounts by jacking up the
body is good?
Look at the design of the forward  mounts. I don't see how you can compromise
these mounts by jacking up the  differential.

Harry Yarnell
Perryman Garage and  Orphanage
hyarnell1 at earthlink.net

The  powertrain is always hanging from the mounts.  There are minimal thrust
and braking loads because these are handled by the suspension pieces.   I'm
not saying the engine mounts aren't robust--just that they weren't  designed to
take a reverse shear load greater necessary for the  powertrain alone.  I'm
not saying you've damaged any mounts your way as  your earlier posts (which I
did not criticize) said you only raised the car  enough to get the jack under a
jacking point.

Bob