Fwd: <VV> Brake pedal/switch problem

HallGrenn at aol.com HallGrenn at aol.com
Mon Aug 28 17:25:36 EDT 2006

In a message dated 8/28/2006 4:16:11 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
kaczmarek at charter.net writes:

> SOMETIMES, after parking the car, you get out and the brake lights are on.
> SOMETIMES, just a pull up on the pedal stops it, most times not.
>
> Here's what's been done.
> 1/ Replace B/L switch (NAPA ECHLIN)
> 2/ Adjust B/L switch all the way out.
> 3/ Bent Bracket that holds switch towards pedal.
> 4/ Adjusted the rod on the master cylinder to max (still allowing 1/8" free
> play). Further out  might keep the M/C from holding pressure.

When I have had this problem (4 times) 1 (Neihoff switch), 2 & 4 above fixed
it three times.  The last problem was caused by a worn plastic shaft bushing
on the brake pedal that sometimes allowed the pedal to drop a bit and engage
the brake light switch.

Bob Hall
Group Corvair
'64 Brier