<VV> backfiring

Paul Abel pbob63 at frontiernet.net
Tue Aug 29 17:35:56 EDT 2006

Finally got the 65 monza sedan 110pg on the road. I've put about 200
miles on it, and the valve train seems to have settled in fine (sat
15yrs) It starts right up, and idles good, no lifter noise. Up to about
40 mph it runs pretty well. Problem is, when I get on the highway and
get it up to speed, it bucks and backfires, hard to keep a constant
speed. I've been told the carbs need adjusting. I tried setting them
according to the manual, but I'm having trouble getting them perfectly
balanced. Is this really my problem? I've had misadjusted carbs before,
but never had the bucking / backfiring thing happen. Could I have a bad
condenser? Gas tank was cleaned, lines replaced, new fuel pump, inline
filter.

Paul Abel.