<VV> New Corvair Owner-Tire pressure and Octane Question

KBOOSMAN at nc.rr.com KBOOSMAN at nc.rr.com
Wed Aug 30 08:24:59 EDT 2006

Hi all...I'm a newbie owner of a 1964 Monza 700 Sedan and I absolutely
love it. But, since I know very little about Corvairs (yet) I have a
question that I hope is not too "stupid". I know what the manual that
came with the car says about the tire pressure being lower in the
front than in the back (while I can't quote the exact numbers right
now it's something like 12 psi in front and 26 psi in back) but does
that hold true for the newer radial tires? I forgot to ask the person
that I bought it from. Also, while the books says that the car will
run well on "Regular" gas, was the regular gas in 1964 a higher octane
than now? My owner's manual doesn't list an actual octane number so
I'm not sure what to use. I have been using Regular (87 octane) and it
seems to be doing fine, but then I've only had it 10 days.

Thank you,
Karin
1964 Monza 700 Sedan