<VV> RE: Sparkplugs

Cepak, Tom A tom.a.cepak at lmco.com
Wed Aug 30 17:42:36 EDT 2006

I don't know what I did right (or actually what is right with this
engine), but I've been driving my Corvair almost every day in this gosh
darn 100+ degree heat wave we've had this summer (42 days over 100), and
I haven't had any pinging problems.  It doesn't even ping when traveling
40 mph in 4th gear while putting the pedal down.  Once every couple of
weeks, some post ignition that lasts less than a half second after
turning the engine off.  I guess I have to count my blessings.  I've
been running 87 octane in my '63 102hp (heads and block #s match 102hp
#s), timing set to 13 degrees, '65 carbs with the idle circuit are
rebuilt (1 year ago) and have 52 jets (rebuilt by Grant at Wolf's),
distributor rebuilt, was running points but just switched to the
Pertronix II with Flamethrower II coil (wow what a difference in power),
oil is Mobile Synthetic 15w50, plugs are Champion something or other set
at .035 gap (I haven't put the Bosch 7502's in yet). It has Seth's plug
wires and the distributor cap with copper leads.  I'm not sure what the
differential is, but the tachometer reads around 3200 rpm at around 65
mph.  I took the lower shrouds off, which actually makes the car kind of
slow to warm up in the morning even at 90 degrees.  My gas mileage has
actually gotten worse with the Pertronix simply for the fact that with
more power, I'm accelerating a lot harder than before (24 mpg to 21
mpg).

This probably helps no one, but I figured I'd let you guys know that you
can actually run 87 octane.

Tom Cepak

Lloyd biggerstaff wrote -----
I am currently running Autolite 275 sparkplugs in my 102 h.p. engine
that I have been having problems with predetonantion when the engine is
warm and subjected to a load at low r.p.m.'s. Could this plug be too
cold for the engine? I pulled a couple of plugs and they seem awful
white at the electrode. What are others running as far as heat range is
concerned?The only mod that I am running are headers.Any help would be
appreciated.