<VV> Oil change

Bill Elliott corvair at fnader.com
Thu Aug 31 09:33:02 EDT 2006

The breakdown in the long-chain polymers was indeed a problem in the
past (and why the oil got "lighter" as it aged) but not so much today. I
concur that in the old days, you'd see an oil pressure difference in
that 3000-5000 mile range.

However, it's been interesting to look at the "oil change" indicators
built into some of my "newer" cars (anybody that knows me knows I don't
drive "new" cars...).

The wife's '89 BMW has an indicator, but I tend to believe it's based
more on mileage than anything else (though I don't know for sure). It
pretty regularly calls for a 5000-6000 mile change. The light must be
manually reset.

In my '93 Allante, the oil change indicator was based on engine hours
and load (reportedly)... interestingly, it indicated a need for an oil
change more quickly with highway driving than it did with around town
stop and go driving. But it never indicated an oil change in less than
5000 miles... often as high as 7500 miles. It had to be manually reset.

The really strange one is my '98 BMW. It has NEVER shown the need for an
oil change... despite that I change every 5000 miles and have never
reset the light. I've put about 11,000 miles on the car since I bought
it... I'm wondering if it is actually "reading" the oil somehow? Or it's
just not working...

In my Corvairs, they get changed annually or 5000 miles, whichever comes
first.

Bill