<VV> Ignition system

Clark Hartzel chartzel at comcast.net
Thu Aug 31 17:32:03 EDT 2006

OK you electrical gurus, what is the straight scoop on the resistor wire on
a Corvair.  I always thought the voltage was dropped to keep the points from
burning out.  How come on a Pertronix Ignition they say to run full 12 volts
to the module but leave the resistor wire on the coil.  I have the pertronix
1 system with Flamethrower 1 coil on my Corvair.  What happens if I run 12V
to the coil?  It says for racing purposes you can use 12V but street use,
leave the resistor wire in place.  What difference does it make if I am
racing or not?  Don't we all want the biggest spark possible?  I am so
confused....
Clark Hartzel