<VV> Questions about Packard electrical connectors

Kent Sullivan kentsu at corvairkid.com
Mon Dec 4 22:36:17 EST 2006

Hi,

Several questions... For reference, see the drawings in Clark's main
catalog, page 100.

Most of the connectors on this page are what I call "Packard Series 56". I
believe that is the industry standard term. By this I mean the "female"
metal connector C3295, the "male" metal connector C3299 and all of the
housings that they fit in.

First question: If you own a crimper that you think does a really good job
of crimping these connectors onto wires, please let me know. I know there
are professional ratcheting crimpers for these but they are big bucks--$300
or more. I have been looking for a hobbyist-quality tool.

The good news is I finally found a crimper today in my area and one test
crimp went well. I was also happy with the price ($15) but would like to
know more about what other people are using. I don't have the part number in
front of me right now but I can get it.

At the bottom of page 100, there is a different kind of connector: C3964
plus the housings (C8383/C8384). These are used, for example, to connect
either end of a late model main body harness to the engine compartment
harness and the fuse block harness.

Second question: What is the official name for these connectors? One person
in the industry believes they are called "Twin Lock" connectors and that the
name usually incorporates the size of connector, e.g., "Twin Lock 12-way"
for a 12-pin connector, like the aforementioned LM main body harness
connectors.

Third question: Will the same crimper that works for Series 56 also work for
Twin Lock? The answer appears to be "Yes" but I'm interested in any specific
experience you-all have.

Fourth question: Do you have a source for the release tool for the Twin Lock
terminals? Unlike the Series 56, which can be released with a small
flat-blade screwdriver, the Twin Lock uses two very small tangs, one on each
side. Ray Sedman told me that what appears to be needed is a long, very thin
pair of tweezers...

Thanks,

--Kent