<VV> Testing High RPM Drop-Out

LastHamlet lasthamlet at yahoo.com
Tue Dec 5 11:29:38 EST 2006

I may be of some help on this one. This sounds like
the same situation I had. So, I need to ask if you
also have an electric fuel pump installed?
I was having the same thing, or maybe similar, as my
car would not accelerate over 60 MPH or so, without
cutting out.
An excellent Corvair mechanic found the problem. My
electric fuel pump was getting it's hot(+) feed from
the hot(+) side of the coil. So, under a load(Hill) at
above 60 MPH, she would cutout and carry on.(May be
what you are going through)
The new positive lead I ran to a wire at the fuse box
under the dash, which is switched.(Off when key is
off) (When running my new wire harness a while back I
had the foresight to run three 10ga. wires along with
it, from dash to engine... This has really paid off,,,
for one the tach I got.)
Anyhow, I then removed the Petronics Ignition wire
from the (+) side of the coil, as it was not wired
properly as well(Per the Corsa Comm. and Mr.Shrug's
Article, last month) (Leave the negative side
connected to the Petronics, cause that one is correct)
Connect the positive side of the Petronics to the
connecting harness(Near the battery side of the
engine)

If your problem was like mine, these two things will
make it disappear like magic.
Footnote: I spent thousands replacing parts, and yet
it still happened. These two things would have saved
me a ton of aggravation, and thousands. Let me know if
this was the problem.
All The Best Regards,
Danny (Strange and Unusual) Barber
67 Vert (Also, strange and unusual)

Any suggestions for how to test what is causing my 62
Spyder to
experience serious drop-out (ignition missing) above
3500 RPM.  The car runs
great until then, but really can't pull past that due
to the level of
drop-out.  It is running a Pertronix ignitor with
Flamethrower coil
(resistor disconnected), new plugs & wires.  I just
need to know any ways to
pinpoint the weak link.

Thanks in advance for any tips.
Steve Brennan