<VV> re:Testing High RPM Drop-Out

Doug Mackintosh dougmackintosh at yahoo.com
Tue Dec 5 21:33:51 EST 2006

My daughter's '64 Spyder had similar symptoms once. It would poop out around 4000 RPM and sputter its way to 5000. In my case, the mechanical advance had frozen (the upper shaft had rusted to the lower shaft so that it would not rotate). Once we freed it up it pulled smooth and strong to redline. Easy to check, just try twisting the rotor to be sure it will rotate and spring back.

  <<From: "Steve Brennan" <alohaz at ca.rr.com>

  Any suggestions for how to test what is causing my 62 Spyder to
experience serious drop-out (ignition missing) above 3500 RPM.  The car runs
great until then, but really can't pull past that due to the level of
drop-out.  It is running a Pertronix ignitor with Flamethrower coil
(resistor disconnected), new plugs & wires.  I just need to know any ways to
pinpoint the weak link.
  Thanks in advance for any tips.
Steve Brennan
1962 Spyder Coupe >>

-- Doug Mackintosh
  Corsa member since 1996
  Corsa/NC member since 1996,  Virtual Vairs member
  Corvair owner 1969-1971 and 1996-on