<VV> radio identification

Tony Underwood tonyu at roava.net
Wed Dec 6 03:31:16 EST 2006

At 04:52 PM 12/4/2006, Michael Kovacs wrote:
>While going through my 'stash' I found the two following Corvair
>radios. Can any one help identify them for me?
>
>   delco am-fm model 388118 id# 18fra-0314  could be out of a '68?
>
>   delco am model 7307271 s/n 71ppa-1579  was removed from a wrecked '69?

I got curious and consulted my Delco electronics shop manuals.   That
first number, 388118, sounds wrong.

Nowhere could I find any reference to any Delco number starting with
388.    Is this number right?     Or, could it have been a
slurred/blurred 986118...?   The only 3xxxxx numbers I could find
anywhere in the Delco products manuals were assembly parts and non-GM
radio applications.   No Corvair numbers with this prefix.

Check that number again, look close.

>    Also a motorola 4fm485x

Motorola radios were dealer-installed items sold via 2nd party
vendors.   No 'Vairs came from the factory with Motorola
radios.   Can't much help you on the Motorola/Vair radio although I
have one in the shop.     By the way, the Motorola radios aren't bad.

tony..