<VV>Re-Vin

Bill Elliott corvair at fnader.com
Thu Dec 7 16:24:22 EST 2006

I have no intention of getting into it again, but this practice is the
rule vice the exception in the really high dollar cars... where
virtually nothing of the original car remains... like your grandfather's
hammer... head's been replaced twice and the handle 5 times, but it's
still your grandfather's hammer. Most countries in Europe have very very
specific rules on how this is properly done... while we in the US just
say "you can't do it" despite the fact it's so commonly done in the
world of restorations...

If the VIN and body plate say you own a 1966 turbo convertible, then you
do, regardless of what the car actually is...  ;-)

A 1966 turbo convertible is still a 1966 turbo convertible even if it's
attached to a body that began life as a 1965 Monza... while a 1965 Monza
is still a 1965 Monza even if it is fitted with all the right bits to
make it appear to be a 1966 turbo convertible... one is a restoration
and the other is fraud... but in the US we treat them both as illegal.

There was recently a case where two Shelby owners claimed that they both
owned the same car. One guy actually had the car itself with the correct
hidden VIN. The other guy had the VIN and body plates attached to a car
that did not have the correct hidden VIN. It was decided legally that
the guy with the plates had the "real" car... and the "real" Shelby body
was now worthless....

Bill.