<VV>Re-Vin

airvair airvair at richnet.net
Thu Dec 7 18:01:45 EST 2006

It would seem to me that in a case-by-case basis, the Shelby owner who
had the REAL body could claim that the VIN plate had been stolen off the
car. Hence, the guy with the plate would have to turn it over to him,
especially since he already had a stamped # all his own. After all, the
plates can be easily removed, while a body with a stamped body # can't.

On the other side of the coin, just how much body replacement
constitutes repair, and what would constitute an effort for fraud? And
what about if both cars are legally owned by one person? If one were
rusted beyond practical (conventional cut-and-weld) restoration, and the
other not, what if the other one's shell were used as "the world's
largest replacement part"? Especially if that replacement part were
restamped correctly to match the plate. One gets scraped, the other
restored. In that case, no intent to defraud would be possible, and
therefore be perfectly legal.

It's a little like "the perfect concours car entry" that showed at one
convention. It consisted of a perfectly polished VIN plate and nothing
else. Can't be deducted for what's not there, right? LOL

-Mark