<VV>Re-Vin

Bill Elliott corvair at fnader.com
Thu Dec 7 18:21:50 EST 2006

airvair wrote:

>It would seem to me that in a case-by-case basis, the Shelby owner who
>had the REAL body could claim that the VIN plate had been stolen off the
>car. Hence, the guy with the plate would have to turn it over to him,
>especially since he already had a stamped # all his own. After all, the
>plates can be easily removed, while a body with a stamped body # can't.

No, a legal chain of custody for the plate was established.  The plate
was removed by a former owner of the car. Both the plate and the
plateless body were  legally sold... the buyer of the body knowing that
it did not include the plate. I only gave the example because it's a
real world instance of what can happen but also where the actual vehicle
identity lies.

In the US we have this belief that the vehicle identity resides in the
body and/or chassis (a belief you've clearly represented with your
opinion above)... when in reality that's just another car part... like a
door or even an engine... readily (and routinely) switched. In many cars
the body is very readily removed.

European rules take this fact into account... US rules don't... until
they are forced to in instances like these.

Bill