<VV> a couple of questions

airvair airvair at richnet.net
Sat Dec 9 01:35:28 EST 2006

Roger,

All the a/c condensors from its intro in mid '61 thru '65 were mounted
over the engine (aka the suitcase condensor), while the '66-7 system
used the over the intake/firewall condensor. The turbos were never
designed for a/c due to 1)the added heat load and 2)the physical
logistics. The latter COULD have been overcome, but the former was, I
believe, the overriding concern. I don't think GM ever looked into trunk
relocation, probably for a variety of reasons.

BTW, I HAVE seen at least one '65 factory turbo with installed '66 style
a/c. The owner said that he had a tough time jockeying the turbo around
in order to make enough room for the core. He also wasn't the type to
run the turbo hard (and thus hot). So a LM a/c turbo using the stock
system IS possible.

Power tops were always an option, as the standard was a manual top.

-Mark