<VV> Corvair truck and camper ???

Roger Atkinson ilikeoldcars at bellsouth.net
Sat Dec 9 17:28:20 EST 2006

When I was picking up my Corvair and looking at some of Bob's collection, he had a truck/camper combination that fascinated me but I don't recall all he said about it.  It was truck like  - I think he called it a Rampside - and it had a camper on it.  The camper was sort of like a modern slide in but not sure how it would have slid into that configuration.  I remember him telling me that he didn't know a lot about the camper - I think he said he bought it that way - but the truck was a Corvair factory production truck.  He said the camper was a single unit in that they took it out in one piece during restoration - not sure how they did it though.  Was that an option Chevrolet offered or was it an aftermarket of the time or something someone created later?  I do know that it was nicely restored as both the truck and the camper looked as if they had just been built.  Any one know anything about these things?  I think it would be a novelty vehicle to own.

Also, on a non Corvair related topic but old car related, he had a couple of other cars I am not real familiar with and was wondering if anyone knew anything about them or had even heard of them.  One was a King Midget from the mid 50s and the other was a Kaiser Darrin I think - I remember it had doors that slid into the body.  He also had a car called a Muntz I think.  I had never seen or heard of one of them. Anyone heard of any of these cars?

I guess some of you have seen his cars but I was amazed at his collection.  He has several pristine Corvairs - about 6 or 7 best I recall as well as several dozen muscle cars from the 60's and 70's including a couple of Super Birds, several big block Chevelles and Camaros, several Mustang Machs and Shelbys as well as a ton of true classic antiques including a Tucker and a Duesenberg - all in prisitne condition.  He also had about a half dozen beautiful street rods including the most beautiful 34 Ford Coupe street rod I have ever seen .

But I am just an old country boy - grew up on a farm and have farmed most of my life so the vehicles that I most enjoyed were his antique tractors.  He had about 70-80 John Deere, Allis Chalmers, Farmall, and Minneapolis Moline tractors that were absolutely stunning.

Sorry for the off topic part of this post - hope I didn't break any rules being off topic.  If so, please excuse me and just answer the Corvair truck question.

Roger