<VV> Dash Lights

Brent Covey brentcovey at hotmail.com
Mon Dec 11 22:08:06 EST 2006

Hi Roland,

>   I  am  having  some  problems  with  my  66 vert. The dash lights keep
>   burning  out

I have occasionally encountered cars doing this from a very high charge
rate- if the voltage regulator goes wonky and starts hitting ~17 volts the
dash bulbs and dome light in closed cars seem to burn out rapidly. If
possible, check your charging rate by measuring the voltage across the
battery terminals with the engine running at 2000 rpm. It should be 15 volts
or less, and stabilize in the 13.5-15 volt realm after a few minutes
running. Have you noticed the battery using water or that it is emitting
unusual fumes?

I prefer the original mechanical breaker point regulators to the electronic
ones if you have the choice, the transistorized units almost always have a
charge rate higher than desired in my experiences with them but some brands
may be better than others in this respect.

Hope thats a lead for you, good luck!
Brent Covey