<VV> Re: [FC] Seat dropping record

Chris & Bill Strickland lechevrier at earthlink.net
Tue Dec 12 15:28:21 EST 2006

I didn't know we were supposed to keep track -- I always was under the
impression that you fixed it and then tried to forget that it had
happened (at this point in my life, I find that those incidents have
been pretty easy to forget, as I try to recall them)  -- eventually, I
discovered 140 heads, and after a while, and several repairs, learned
that coasting down the back side of steep grades after climbing them
enthusiastically was not quite the thing to do -- moral: If ya got the
hammer down, keep it there!

more recently, I bought a $50 beater that sorta ran, and I twiddled with
the valve adjustment until the loose seats dropped back into their holes
(there was more than one) and drove it for about six months before I
tore it apart -- not only were the two seats loose, but several others
showed signs of repair. (164 engine that appeared to have been assembled
from spare parts -- rods didn't match, some were upside down, pistons,
too, heads were different, ...) got me into work everyday I drove it ...

yes, you read correctly, I have had dropped seats work their way back
under the valves and stay there for a while when the valves were "played
with" -- yes, i'm as suprised as the next guy ...

Bill Strickland